A One World Week event for your local group?
Consider inserting a OWW event into the regular calendar of a group or organisation you belong to locally.
Acknowledge OWW in your school assembly, church service, or invite a relevant speaker to your friendship group.
This is often the simplest OWW event to organise as the infrastructure and captive audience are already in place. It also has the advantage of reaching people who may not have considered beforehand the issues being raised, since they have not necessarily come because it is a OWW event, but because they are regular attenders at this group.
However, this event does need to be planned with the target audience in mind, with relevant and engaging activities and speakers. Check out the Resources pages for inspiration.
Examples of such events might be:
- School assembly – some supporter organisations produce assemblies or PowerPoints on the OWW theme that can be easily adapted to the age group, or you could invite in a speaker.
- Book Club – Choose a book that includes issues that relate to the OWW theme, or set in a different culture, for your monthly meeting in October
- Invite a Fair Trade organisation to have a stall and talk for a few minutes at your regular gathering (Lunch Club, Tea Dance, Toddler Group, etc)
- Regular Religious Gatherings – use the OWW Theme Guidelines to raise relevant issues related to your faith teachings (in Mosque Sermons, Shabbat, Hindu, Sikh Services, etc)
- Church Service – check out this year’s or previous Worship Anthologies to select readings, prayers or ideas for a complete service
- Scout, Guide or youth club theme night based on the OWW theme.
- Invite a speaker to your regular friendship, community or campaign group: women’s group, men’s group, alumni, diaspora, mental health, college organisation, U3A etc.
Recently Added Resources
New Funding Opportunity - The Common Good Fund - Application Deadline 27 Feb. 2017 see more here
Organisers' Evaluation form for 2016 events Download from here
Wordsearches for Including You events - download them from here
Press release template for 'Including You' events download here
Quotations about building an inclusive peaceful society - Download from here a 5 page booklet as a word.doc or pdf
Pledges to build an inclusive society - find them here
"Who is a Migrant?" - anactivity/game to get people talking to each other at your events. Download the instructions here
School Assemblies from Christian Aid- link to and download a PowerPoint and notes
Looking for a speaker for your event? Download here a list (pdf) from the Discussion page (posted 12 Sept 2016)
Faith resources relating to "Including You".Download pdf here links to materials offered by OWW's partners and supporters: worship, discussion, films ...plus Prayers for OWW(updated 7 Sept '16)
Presentation "A OWW approach to Migration" Download this PDF version of a 12 slides (15 -20 minutes) powerpoint
Need funding for your event? Apply to Big Lottery Celebrate Fund! NOW or you'll be too late for OWW more here and other suggestions
Poster/ flyer design kit - download from here
2016 Leaflets "Including You" download PDF versions here
Migrant crisis or poverty crisis? - A briefing paper from Global Justice NOW Download as a PDF here
2016 - "Including You" - Booklet of ideas, links and resources for interpreting the theme. Dowload a PDF here (updated July 2016)
Learning resource/activity for young people about peace - from Fly Kites not Drones; suitable for activites in or out of school. find links here: schools ; activities (added Nov. 2015 but still relevant for this years events)
Organisers' Evaluation Form for event organisers to complete and send to OWW - down load the word.doc from here